Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Moral Dilemma

My class has been waiting anxiously (and not so patiently) for the upcoming release of a certain children's book. They've had the release date circled on the calendar. I've tried to configure our read aloud schedule so that we'll finish our current book the day this book is released so not a single day is wasted.

But I already have the book, pre-release date. It's sitting next to my computer. See it? It's right there by my wireless mouse.

This weekend, on a whim, I stopped by a bookstore to buy a newspaper and ask about possibly reserving myself a copy. "I'm hoping to put a book on hold," I said. "It's supposed to be released on [such-and-such a date], but I wanted to make sure I reserved a copy before the kids in my class bought them all."

"What's the title and author?" asked the woman behind the counter.

I gave her the information, and she began to write it down. Suddenly she stopped and thought for a second, then walked over to a nearby counter and brought over a stack of books. "Is this the one?" she asked holding up the top copy.

"Uh, yyyyep. That's it," I said as she placed the copy on the counter in front of me. "I didn't think it was supposed to be released until [such and such a date]. Are you going to sell me a copy today?"

"We didn't receive any note saying we weren't supposed to sell it until a specific date, so if you want it, it's yours."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. No problem."

Okay, so the conversation might not be word for word, but that's pretty much they way it went down. I accepted her word and bought the book. I’d recently had a similar experience, actually. Our school hosted a Scholastic book fair a week or two before Scat by Carl Hiaasen was scheduled to be released. So it happens, I thought. It’s not like we’re dealing with Harry Potter and the Armored Car Delivery.

But something didn’t seem right, so I started do a little more digging online. There were no reviews available anywhere. None. No review sites. No blog posts. I hit every blog in the tri-county area, but no reviews. (I just checked again...nothing yet.)

Next I checked the online booksellers. Amazon? Pre-order. Barnes and Noble? Pre-order. Borders, Powells, Books-a-Million? Pre-order, pre-order, pre-order.

So on Monday I showed the book to my class and predictably, they freaked. I also shared what happened at the bookstore and what I knew about release dates, using the Harry Potter books as an example. And I asked, “What should we do?”

Their answers ranged from “Who cares what we should do?!? Let’s talk about what we want to do!” to “You have to return that book right away.” Kids suggested contacting the bookstore or the publisher. Some said that if I bought the book, it’s mine to do with as I please. Another followed that comment with concern for the bookstore. What if the store or the employee got in trouble for an honest mistake? But what if it was really the publisher’s mistake and they forgot the note about not selling the book? Or, said one, what if we’re just letting the prairie dog tunnel get too tall and we have to squash it down? (He was aiming for “mountain out of a molehill.” He gets an A for effort, anyway, and another A for adding positively to the discussion.)

I also admitted that I’d love to publish a review on Help Readers Love Reading!. They know about the site, and they have enough technological savvy to know publishing a review on a book no one else has yet might bring additional attention to the website.

So teachers, what should I do? How would you handle the situation with your students? And you teacher/blogger/book reviewers out there, what would you do? Publish a review and scoop the competition? Wait? Is it really a big deal or just a prairie dog tunnel?

7 comments:

  1. That is a sticky situation. I just received an Amazon book that I was not expecting to be released until March. I noticed a while back that is was listed as a shipped book on my account. However, even though it still says March 2009 on Amazon, it is not listed as pre-order anymore. That happened with another book that I pre-ordered this summer. It came earlier than expected and when I went back to Amazon it no longer said pre-order. You made me curious, so I looked at Barnes and Noble. It also shows March 1 release date but it does not show up as pre-order there either. In the case of the book I received, it appears that for whatever reason they do have permission to sell the book now. Yet, I follow a blog where the author is part of the group and I haven't seen any mention of the release. I have already posted about how I received the book and am excited to read it, but maybe I will send an email to check in with the author to see if it is okay to blog a review and book talk it to my students or if she prefers that I wait until the official release date.

    You may try to contact the author. I can see your students concern about not wanting to get the worker in trouble, but hopefully they would see it as an honest mistake.

    I am excited to see more from this blog. I read your other one but had not noticed this one yet until I saw the invitation on your other one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I'm dying to know the book. So in that respect, I'm pulling to know more. However, I'm the one who chastised her roommate for four days when she read the illegally scanned copy of the final Harry Potter book in PDF format. How dare she?

    So I suppose my advice would be to savor what you have. Relish the treasure you have waiting for you. Count the days. Let the excitement mount. But don't be afraid to come in early on the release day to have an extra read aloud session. :)

    Then again, take what I say with a grain of salt. After all, I'm the one who always would refuse to look for Christmas presents because I wanted to be surprised. Enjoy!

    ###

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just released this blog (so to speak) to the public tonight, so that's why you haven't seen it. And you're the first visitor too...I think.

    Anyways, thanks for the comments and the suggestions. You mentioned a March 1 release date, which means we're not talking about the same book. I plan on following up in the next day or two with what we decide to do as a class and what I decide to do as a book reviewer.

    Would it make a difference if people knew the book I'm talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I was talking about a different book because mine is a first time book from the author. I was just mentioning it since you had me wondering whether or not I should have received the book early. I think in my case it seems like Amazon must have received permission to release early since it no longer showed up as pre-order, but yours seems like it probably was an error since you see it everywhere as pre-order.

    I like how you used it as a teachable moment to talk with your students about what they thought you should do. It will be interesting to see what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Brian. I'm not a teacher, but come from the other side of the counter; I write books. There might be a simple explanation for the seeming pre-release of the book you're talking about. In very rare cases, the book is embargoed, which means that booksellers are not supposed to sell it before midnight on the release day. This is the case with high-profile books, such as the Potter books, but also others, like Eragon and others. In the general scheme of things, this is very rare, and nothing more than a publicity ploy to generate interest. In just about every other case, however (the bulk of all books published), it is standard publishing procedure to make books available before the specified month of publication. For instance, the January 2009 publication my "City of the Dead" came out in early to mid-December. I believe this goes all the way back to the Syndicate publishing in the early 20th century, when books were made available at newsstands. You see this continue also in the case of magazines. December issues are on stands in November. It's part of the effort to seem new, I suppose. You should have no qualms whatsoever about buying any book, reading it, passing it around, and publishing reviews of it. You are encouraged to do that by everyone concerned: author, publisher, bookseller. Sorry, if I've duplicated another post or if I've misunderstood, but I wanted to state this because, as an author, I am often getting email from readers about a book I've thought wasn't available yet and often even before I have my own copy of the book.
    Best wishes ,
    Tony Abbott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Abbott, thanks for offering an author's perspective. It occurred to me last night that we never discussed the author. My class and I were concerned with ourselves, the bookstore, and the publisher, but we never gave any thought to how the author might feel. Your explanation makes sense, and I’ll be sure to share it with the class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did hear back from the author of my book and she said what Mr. Abbott said, that her book was released early and that it was fine to publish reviews.

    ReplyDelete