Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dream Life

I'm not complaining, so don't get any misconceptions about me being some malcontent coasting through life. Not at all. I just find it funny that the cartoons my kids watch strike me as hilarious. I've liked SpongeBob since I first learned he lived in a pineapple under the sea. I even thought Dora was sort of cool with her type-A personality forcing my children to think everything through in three simple steps. Over the bridge, through the forest, up the mountain! (I wish they'd extend those preschool lessons to elementary school. Unload the backpack, do the homework, repack for tomorrow!)

But now it's been Phineas and Ferb, and it has been at least since summer. This morning was my favorite episode, the one where Phineas and Ferb get Love Handel back together for their parents' anniversary. My favorite scene is the song I Ain't Go Rhythm when Phineas and Ferb go to the library to convince Swampy to rejoin the band. He swears he has no rhythm, despite the sound being made as he checks in book.

Sherman, as Swampy is now known, declares "Look, I got a sweet deal going on here, I got all the books that I can read, all these sweet old ladies and this carpet from the 80's, what more could a librarian need?" What more, indeed?

A song breaks out, very rhythmic of course, and Sherman decides to rejoin the band. As a bonus, it ends with a scene reminiscent of the Blues Brothers as they wheel Swampy and his drum set out the door.

Sherman/Swampy. Lived the life of a rockstar. Now lives the life of a librarian. That's a sweet gig if you can get it.



No comments:

Post a Comment