Saturday, December 12, 2009

Remember When We Just Played?

I must be getting old because I remember when play involved other kids, outside, and usually a ball of some sort. We made up rules, changed them to our own advantage, and sometimes quit and took our ball home with us, or at least threatened to.

Now, too often, play involves other kids via wireless connections, inside, and something that must be plugged in, or at least recharged. The rules are embedded into the game's code, and if you threaten to go home, there's always someone else in cyberspace able to take your place.

My latest column is all about the former kind of play and how I introduced it to the kids. Actually, they were already well versed, but a refresher course is always good, especially for a kid getting old like me.

Click here for the column or here for the printable version.

No comments:

Post a Comment